St. Mary’s Church – Detroit

St. Mary's Church - Detroit

St. Mary’s Church in Detroit, near the GreekTown casino.

St. Mary’s was founded by Father Martin Kundig in 1835 for the German-speaking Catholics in Detroit, and is the third oldest Catholic parish in the city. The cornerstone for the original church building was laid on the feast of Corpus Christi, June 19, 1841. The cornerstone for this building was laid in 1884, and the edifice was completed in 1885. This High Victorian Romanesque style structure was designed by German parishioner Peder Dederichs.  St. Mary’s founded the city’s first black and Hispanic missions.

Rose window - St. Mary's Church - Detroit

The front doors at St. Mary’s Church in Detroit

Front Doors of St. Mary's Church - Detroit